Speed Testing and Throughput testing

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Mon Nov 2 22:54:21 UTC 2009

On 3/11/2009, at 10:56 AM, Mark Urbach wrote:

> Anyone have a good solution to get "accurate" speed results when
> testing at 10/100/1000 Ethernet speeds?

If you want accuracy, you want to buy a packet generator/router tester
unit.

I just built a tool for a customer (a last-mile network provider) that
runs a series of iperf tests over several days, and generates a report.
iperf works well enough, but it seems to be much better when driven by
humans, vs. driven by scripts.

I'm not aware of any free tools that do just ethernet frames.

> Do you have a server/software that customer can test too?

Not sure what you're after here - do you want to host your own
speedtest.net-like service so your customers can self-test their
access links? Does this mean much, or should they be testing against a
server outside your network?
Also, if you host your own service and you're talking about
10/100/1000mbit connections, you might want to put something in place
that prevents several people testing at once.

--
Nathan Ward