Small guys with BGP issues

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Nov 2 06:44:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 01:16:24AM -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:
> Tell me, what can you offer me? Here are my immediate purchasing
> qualifications:
>
> - 100Mbps
> - space in Torix
> - optic, from Toronto, Ontario to Cobourg, Ontario (55 miles)
> - gear at both ends
>
> We pay ~$2500 for the fibre and the bandwidth. Get me a deal. I am not
> the money man. I don't even want to deal with money. I can't vote with
> money, as it's not mine. Believe me, if I could vote with money, I'd be
> 100% HE.

You said business class DSL before, now you're saying 100Mbps. There are
many dozens of providers who will speak BGP with you in 151 Front, you
should have absolutely no trouble finding one to buy from at attractive
prices. Your best bet is to unbundle the backhaul from the transit, that
way you have flexibility to buy bandwidth from who you would like
without being tied to the specific network providing the backhaul. But
you said "gear on both ends", which implies that you have something in
Toronto already?

At any rate this is completely and totally off topic for NANOG, but if
you say the words "I'd like to buy 100Mbps of service with BGP in
Toronto" I'm sure you'll be swarmed with offers.