Small guys with BGP issues

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Nov 2 06:16:24 UTC 2009

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 02, 2009 at 12:42:51AM -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> This isn't just my DSL provider, its a business class connection
>> provider who also happens to provide my (hrm.. our) primary Internet
>> connection.
>>
>> Are you going to teach me something with a clue bat, or are you going
>> to beat me to death with the specifics that each prong of a fork
>> carries?
>
> Sure, I'll give it a brief shot... Some Internet connections are simply
> not designed to support customer BGP. When someone says "business class
> service" over cable or DSL, typically what they're talking about is
> "we'll route your calls to a slightly higher class call center", and
> "we'll provide you with 5 e-mail addresses/IPs and 50MB of hosting for
> your website instead of just the usual 1 email and 1 dynamic IP".
>
> The DSL gear may very well not be able to speak BGP to a customer at
> all. Each provider gets to decide what service they do and don't want to
> sell, and your provider has clearly decided they don't want to sell you
> BGP. From the providers' point of view, I'm sure this makes perfect
> sense. I'd love to get Comcast to speak BGP to my cable modem, but I
> have absolutely no delusions that they will ever do so. There is more
> than likely nothing you're going to be able to do about it, and the more
> you complain about it like this the more likely they are to move you
> into the "this guy is a nut and we don't want your business at all"
> category.

Richard,

I appreciate your concern. I would have expected however that you might
have understood that I wasn't asking about some resi-type connection.
Yes, we are small. I would love to be in a position to say that our
100Mb connection qualifies...

Regardless...

> If you don't like the service you're getting, vote with your money and
> buy from someone else. This is quite simply not a NANOG issue, but in
> the interests of being helpful the best advice I can give you is this:
>
> "Your request is unreasonable, and you should adjust your expectations
> that you'll ever get it from the service you are purchasing".

Tell me, what can you offer me? Here are my immediate purchasing
qualifications:

- 100Mbps
- space in Torix
- optic, from Toronto, Ontario to Cobourg, Ontario (55 miles)
- gear at both ends

We pay ~$2500 for the fibre and the bandwidth. Get me a deal. I am not
the money man. I don't even want to deal with money. I can't vote with
money, as it's not mine. Believe me, if I could vote with money, I'd be
100% HE.

I'm venting. I'm allowed to vent here. I think I'm qualified to do so.
Even though I can't speak with $, there are those who know my
determination to keep a clean network, and they may be willing to help
me in the future.

Steve