Small guys with BGP issues

Steve Bertrand steve at ibctech.ca
Mon Nov 2 05:42:51 UTC 2009

Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 01, 2009 at 11:54:07PM -0500, Steve Bertrand wrote:
>> I'm not a political person. Take it for what it is worth.
>>
>> I personally know people who do both:
>>
>> - practice but not preach
>> - preach but don't practice
>>
>> ... however you take my point, I don't care.
>>
>> I just wanted it to be known that the 'guys' who do practice it should
>> 'God willing' come out and preach it.
>>
>>> And this is not the big boy list.  This is for all Operators in North
>>> America, and many who are not, regardless of size.  (Well, I guess we'll
>>> exclude the guy who buys are cable/DSL link and "provides" to his mother
>>> & father with a LinkSys.)
>> eh, -stevieb has much respect for all those who read this list, and when
>> he posts, feels that the big guys are looking down upon him... hopefully
>> with approval.
>
> Ok so, without getting into debates over being political, practicing vs
> preaching, BCP38, or big guys vs little guys, can you please explain in
> clear english what in the name of holy hell you're talking about?
>
> What is the issue here, that your DSL provider won't speak BGP with you
> no matter how many times you've asked, so you're complaining to NANOG

Theoretically, I'm not complaining, I'm venting.

This isn't just my DSL provider, its a business class connection
provider who also happens to provide my (hrm.. our) primary Internet
connection.

Are you going to teach me something with a clue bat, or are you going to
beat me to death with the specifics that each prong of a fork carries?

> Please correct me if I'm reading this wrong, but the emails
> so far haven't been very clear and this isn't making a lot of sense.

My apologies if I haven't been clear. What would you like me to say? If
I can't 'complain' here, where do I go? I think that I've acted
tactfully and responsibly.

What didn't make sense? Enlighten me.

Although I did come here with concerns and questions, I do have a clue
bat of my own to swing in defence...

Steve