Why choose 120 volts?

Ronald Cotoni setient at gmail.com
Thu May 28 16:49:27 UTC 2009

I have some similar input.  At my company, we use both 120 and 208
volt depending on what servers we are putting in the racks.  We can
fill up every single rack to full capacity 100% of the time by using
energy efficient servers.  The fact that it is 120 volt or 208 volt
hardly matters on most machines except Xeon/Opeteron class systems.
We use a lot of Core 2 duo, Atom and Xeon Low Voltage processors.
This allows us higher density on the same power and makes 208 volt
mostly irrelevant.