AH or ESP

Merike Kaeo kaeo at merike.com
Mon May 25 21:03:19 UTC 2009

Yeah - the main issue with using ESP is that there's a trailer at end
of packet that tells you more info to determine whether you can
inspect the packet.  So you have to look at the end of the packet to
see whether ESP is using encryption or null-encryption (i.e. just
integrity protection).  Some vendors do have proprietary mechanisms
in software for now which doesn't scale.  The work below will
hopefully lock into a solution where hw can be built to quickly
determine if ESP is used for integrity only.

AH is not really widely used (except for OSPFv3 since early
implementations locked in on AH when the standard said to use IPsec
for integrity protection).  Note that a subsequent standard now
exists which explicitly states that ESP-Null MUST be supported and AH
MAY be supported.  But how many folks are actually running OSPF for a
v6 environment and using IPsec to protect the communicating peers?
Some but not many (yet).

Personally, I'd stick with ESP.  AH complicates matters
(configuration, nested environments when you do decide to also use
ESP for encryption maybe later, NAT) and while is isn't officially
deprecated vendors don't test it as much as ESP - at interoperability
tests it's not stressed, at least the ones I've been to.  Ask your
vendor(s) what they think of the work below and see where they stand
with implementing it.

Be happy to answer any more questions offline.

- merike