NPE-G2 vs. Sup720-3BXL

Arie Vayner arievayner at gmail.com
Fri May 15 18:34:06 UTC 2009

David,

My 1st advice would be to look also at the other features/capabilities you
require, and not just at "feeds and speeds".

Some examples for functionality could be:
- QOS
- NetFlow
- DDoS resistance

In general the 6500 and the 12000 are hardware based platforms, with the
12000 being more distributed in nature, using linecard resources for data
plane (6500 does it too if you have DFC installed). 7200 is a CPU/software
based platform, so the same processor does packet forwarding and control
plane processing.

The 6500 (depends on specific module selection) is more restricted with QOS
and NetFlow functionality as it is designed to do very fast forwarding at a
relativly cheaper price.
The 12000 has everything implemented in hardware, and depends on the engine
types (don't use anything other than Eng 3 or 5) has all the support you may
dream of for things like QOS and other features.
The 7200 is a software based router, which means that it support any feature
you may ever dream of, but the scalability decreases as you turn them on.

Another option you should consider seriously should be the ASR1000 router,
which is a newer platform and has a new architecture. All its features are
based on hardware support, and it could actually prove the best choice for
what you need.
The ASR1002 comes with 4 integrated 1GE ports, which could be all that you
would ever need (but it has quite a few extension slots left).

Arie