NPE-G2 vs. Sup720-3BXL

Leland E. Vandervort leland at taranta.discpro.org
Fri May 15 16:21:23 UTC 2009

We're running several six 65xx Sup720-3BXL with 3 full transit views and
some 40-odd peers.  We use two NPE-G1s for reflectors and some policy
manipulation.  Also running MPLS in the core to allow for traffic
engineering and EoMPLS between certain services located in different
locations.

We're pushing up to between 800M and 1G at peak times (mostly outbound)
with this setup and peak CPU on the 3BXLs is running maybe 30% -- average
though of around 8 to 10%.

Hope this helps....

side-note:

I'm actually more worried about the distribution layer at the moment as it
relies heavily on STP and HSRP/GLBP for the various vlans and access layer
gunk.  Currently these are 720-3B (non-XL), but looking eventually to
build a business case to upgrade these to VSS1440 to simplify the
architecture as well as providing better resilience and elimination of
STP/HSRP/GLBP limitations between the dist and access layers.  Problem is
the budget side of that... blargh!

Ideally I'd like to go more for the Nexus platform for this part of the
network, given that we're doing a lot of virtualisation etc., but the
downsides with that are primarily the COST of the bloody things, and
secondly the fact that they don't currently support MPLS (planned for
later this year, apparently).

Leland