you're not interesting, was Re: another brick in the wall[ed garden]

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu May 14 22:36:05 UTC 2009

>Dear Sprint EVDO people,
>
>Your man-in-the-middle hijacking of UDP/53 DNS queries against
>nameservers that I choose to query from my laptop on Sprint EVDO is
>not appreciated.  Even less appreciated is your complete blocking of
>TCP/53 DNS queries.

If I were an ISP, and I knew that approximately 99.9% of customer
queries to random name servers was malware doing fake site phishing or
misconfigured PCs that will work OK and avoid a support call if they
answer the DNS query, with 0.1% being old weenies like us, I'd do what
Sprint's doing, too.

If you're aware of a mechanical way for them to tell the difference,
we're all ears.

Regards,
Information Superhighwayman wanna-be, http://www.johnlevine.com, ex-Mayor
"More Wiener schnitzel, please", said Tom, revealingly.