two interfaces one subnet

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Mon May 11 22:27:13 UTC 2009

I think the idea of one interface per subnet originates in the early
RFCs, such as RFC 1009 "Requirements for Internet Gateways":

"Section 1.1.2 Networks and Gateways

... A gateway is connected to two or more networks, appearing to
         each of these networks as a connected host.  Thus, it has a
         physical interface and an IP address on each of the connected
         networks ... "

So by using singular terminology ( "a connected host", "a physical
interface", "an IP address") instead of plural, a single interface per
subnet for gateways (read routers) is implied.

This is not to say that it will not work, at least on servers. Standards
aside, a good reason why this is not a best practice is the concept of
asynchronous routing where a packet arrives on one interface, and the
reply leaves on the other interface with a different source IP on the
reply. Most firewalls will reject packets such as this.