two interfaces one subnet

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Mon May 11 21:47:43 UTC 2009

On May 11, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Alex H. Ryu wrote:

> Unless you configure Layer 2 for two interfaces, it's not going to
> work.

It can work.  Of course it _may_ not, depending upon your
implementation, but then some implementations can't get a single
interface to work properly per subnet.

> It is invalid from networking principle.

You are confused, there is nothing invalid about the configuration.

> If you have to send the traffic for host in same subnet you
> configured,
> which interface it should send out ?

Pick an interface and send the packet.  It's not rocket science.  I
can come up with half a dozen algorithms off the top of my head while
typing the last sentence.

> Basically it may create broadcast storm loop by putting two ip
> addresses
> in same subnet in different interface.

That is an interesting statement.  Could you explain how this can
happen without crafting an idiotic implementation spec (e.g. every
packet goes out both interfaces)?

> It may be allowed from host-level, but from router equipment, I don't
> think it was allowed at all.

Ever used HSRP / VRRP?  Two interfaces in the same subnet.  Works
fine.  In fact, most people think it works _better_ than one interface
in the same subnet.

--
TTFN,
patrick