Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed May 6 05:12:58 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 22:43 -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:
> I'm complaining that the IPv6 we're all being asked to use is a buggy
> contraption that's best parked until more of it's issues are resolved.

Using it is the fastest way to get issues resolved. It worked for
IPv4... :-)

Expecting all the issues to be fixed before we start using it is the
best way of all to ensure that it never gets off the ground at all. It's
an excuse, and not a very good one.

> Once we start down the path capable of supporting SLAAC's /64 requirement,
> there's no going back.  The address space has be carved out; there's no
> "uncutting" that pie.

I disagree. I can see several ways to retrofit more and better
functionality in this area later.

> The flood hasn't started yet.  And the ark isn't finished; with enough
> people bailing water, it might stay afloat. :-)

Hm, like the fellow falling out of a tall building. As he flashed past
each window on his way down, people on each floor heard him murmuring
"so far so good...".

Look, the Ark *is* finished. It floats. It can be steered. It has space
for everyone. The fact that some of the plumbing is a bit iffy is just
not a major issue right now; getting everybody on board is. We have LOTS
of very clever people ready to bail, many of whom are quite capable of
inventing bilge pumps from scratch.

Sure the flood hasn't started. The fact that we are up to our ankles in
water is a purely temporary phenomenon, nothing to worry about.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF