Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Wed May 6 02:43:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 05 May 2009 20:39:23 -0400, Karl Auer <kauer at biplane.com.au> wrote:
> Wow, that's a metaphor that has been not merely mixed, but shaken and
> stirred as well. Are you for a move to IPv6 now or not? Is the Pinto
> IPv4 or IPv6? What does the exploding gas tank represent?

I'm complaining that the IPv6 we're all being asked to use is a buggy
contraption that's best parked until more of it's issues are resolved.
Once we start down the path capable of supporting SLAAC's /64 requirement,
there's no going back.  The address space has be carved out; there's no
"uncutting" that pie. (much in the same way the /8 handed out in the early
80's aren't being reclaimed.)

> If you mean we should hold off on moving to IPv6, then I disagree
> strongly. Here's a quote I like (because it's mine :-)

The flood hasn't started yet.  And the ark isn't finished; with enough
people bailing water, it might stay afloat. :-)

> On the other hand - we have DHCPv6 to work around it. Noone HAS to use
> SLAAC. ...

Yes, but as long as it exists, someone *will*.