Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Wed May 6 00:39:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 15:58 -0400, Ricky Beam wrote:
> "stateless" with "constant" and "consistent".  SLAAC doesn't need to
> generate the exact same address everytime the system is started.

No - but it is *phenomenally useful* if it does. Changing addresses is
only ever something you want in very specific circumstances.

> Bottom line... there's no pressing reason to make the jump, and a whole
> bunch of reasons to hold off.  But you don't seem to care about any of
> that -- we should all continue driving our pintos with the exploding gas
> tank until your local shop has time to replace it.  No. Thanks.

Wow, that's a metaphor that has been not merely mixed, but shaken and
stirred as well. Are you for a move to IPv6 now or not? Is the Pinto
IPv4 or IPv6? What does the exploding gas tank represent?

If you mean we should hold off on moving to IPv6, then I disagree
strongly. Here's a quote I like (because it's mine :-)

   "[...] the storm clouds have well and truly gathered,
    thunder is rolling in the hills, great big rain drops are splotting
    into the dust all around us, and what are we doing? Wandering around
    the outside of the Ark tut-tutting about the quality of the woodwork
    and loudly suggesting the construction of various sorts of
    rowboats."

For what it's worth, I actually agree with you that 64 bits is way too
short a prefix for the job. 80 would have been better, and some
framework for *choosing* the prefix length and (say) hashing the MAC
would have been even better. As it does you, the waste offends me,
because I DO think we are repeating an IPv4 mistake.

On the other hand - we have DHCPv6 to work around it. Noone HAS to use
SLAAC. DHCPv4 is in every piece of home kit these days, with useful
defaults, there's no show-stopper reason that DHCPv6 cannot do the same
job. With a bit of work it could do a much better job.

Regards, K.

Karl Auer (kauer at biplane.com.au)                   +61-2-64957160 (h)

GPG fingerprint: 07F3 1DF9 9D45 8BCD 7DD5 00CE 4A44 6A03 F43A 7DEF