Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Tue May 5 20:23:17 UTC 2009

On Tue, 05 May 2009 13:28:25 -0400, Charles Wyble <charles at thewybles.com>
wrote:
> Utility companies utilize Zigbee pretty extensively. So that's millions
> and millions of addresses right there.

But does the entire planet need to talk to those critters?  No.  Nor
should they even be able to.

Those little gadgets can very happily live within a link-local only
network, or isolated private network.

I know the subject of "nat" in IPv6 will have people chasing me with
pitchforks, but there are a lot of things in the world that don't need to
be accessable by the entire world and should be (must be) protected from
even accidentally being exposed to the Evil Internet(tm).  Everyone will
chime in with "firewall them", but the risk exists as long as they have
global addresses.  Having to break into a machine in order to get at the
internal network (ala today's NAT) makes the network much safer -- not
"safe", but safer than directly naked on the internet.

(If you want to do numbers... the utility company could hang 2billion
zigbee's on every human on Earth and still not fill *one* /64.  [global
pop ~ 6.77 billion])