Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Tue May 5 20:11:54 UTC 2009

On Tue, 5 May 2009, Jack Bates wrote:

> DHCPv6-PD requires manual configuration.

Are you sure? Isn't it just that the current implementations do?

> Sure, but how does the router know it needs to hand out a /62? Then what
> about the router after that? Does it hand out a /61? then the router behind
> that?
>
> What if the ISP only gave a /60?

Guess someone needs to write a draft with BCP regarding this, or perhaps
extend the protocol to include that the requestor can ask for a preferred
size (or do multiple /64 PDs).

> PD is not designed for multiple stage delegations without manual
> configuration for each stage.

I see no problem with sane defaults solving that problem.

Now, if every ISP now adhered to handing out at least a /56 to each home,
sane defaults could be created. If each ISP does it its own way, sane
defaults won't work.

So just hand out a /56 or /48 and be done with it. Your idea of chained
/64 doesn't really solve anything that couldn't be solved with a /64
default PD handout in the home gateway as far as I can see it?

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se