Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Tue May 5 18:45:56 UTC 2009

> Joe Greco wrote:
> >> Forwarding these requests up to the ISP's router and having several
> >> PDs per end customer is in my opinion the best way to go.
> >
> > How is it the ISP's router is able to handle this?  Be specific.
>
> I view with suspicion the notion that an ISP is going to take addressing
> direction from their customers, willy-nilly.

You snipped two of the three paragraphs I was responding to.  The reply
I made was not a response to the last sentence, which was all that you
quoted, and so you may be confused about what I meant.

I was talking the other direction.

Internet routes a prefix to the ISP.

ISP routes a (smaller) prefix to the access concentrator.

Access concentrator routes a (smaller) prefix to the customer.

Now, the question is, if you're sending all these prefix requests up to
the ISP's router, why is *that* device able to cope with it, and why is
the CPE device *not* able to cope with it?

> > Now explain why that can't be made to work at the CPE level.
>
> Home devices chain with NAT because that is the scheme most likely to
> work well enough by default 99% of the time out of the box, without
> requiring ANY upstream cooperation.
>
> Home devices that work out of the box for the common usage scenarios
> generate profit, those that dont generate loss.

Again, since I think you misunderstood my earlier question, I don't think
my opinion was different than that.

Throwing out any real world implementations, for the sake of a clean slate
to see what "makes sense," let's sketch.

You have an ISP network, with a large amount of space available, and a
lesser amount of space dedicated to the POP.

You have a customer network, assumed to live within some customer
delegation.

So what we want is something that can intelligently handle delegation
in an automatic fashion, which probably includes configurable settings
to request/register delegations upstream, and to accept/manage them
downstream.  There's no reason that this shouldn't be basic router
capabilities.

... JG