Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Tue May 5 05:26:14 UTC 2009

On May 4, 2009, at 23:36, Stephen Sprunk wrote:

> FireWire is the only significant user of EUI-64 addresses

Yesterday, it was.

You might want to read up about IEEE 802.15.4 and 6LoWPAN.
We are not joking when we talk about the next billion nodes on the
Internet.

For those who are worried about running out on /56s:

There are 9000 trillion of those in the current 2000::/3 that is being
handed out.
Each /56 is about a customer relationship, a home, a wire, ...
Say, each of them only needs a single dollar to get set up.
We are talking about 9000 trillion dollars being spent before we have
to open up the next /3.
(2008's world domestic product, measured in purchasing power parity
was about $ 69.49 trillion, by the way.
I'm talking about spending 129.6 years of world productivity for one
dollar per /56, here.)

Folks:
There will *never* be a reason to hand out /60s, /62s, /64s, or,
heaven forbid, /96s.
And I mean *never*:
It's much more useful to discuss this issue on fundamentals than on
past practices.

Really, /56 for everyone is the only way back to an Internet.

Gruesse, Carsten