Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Mon May 4 22:27:32 UTC 2009

Joe Greco wrote:
> But what we're talking about is service providers delegating to customers.
> Customers should *also* be allowed to subnet "however they want."
> Something they can't do right now, because they aren't given the space.
> If service providers are allowed to delegate teeny prefixes (meaning /64
> or less), we're going to see consumers finding "ways" around that
> restriction, and then we're down an ugly road that's reminiscent of IPv4
> and NAT and "you get one IP address, deal with it."

Customers should also be able to implement multiple networks with
support for stateless autoconfig. Doing away with NAT means new ways of
handing out networks, which I believe the IETF has come short on, but
the start is to accept that they'll need at least a /64 per layer two
segment for compatibility reasons. Implementations will vary, as will
the knowledge of the customer, but it is safe to assume at this point
that there will be implementations with support for stateless autoconfig
and multiple networks/subnets/etc.

Jack