Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Mon May 4 11:39:15 UTC 2009

> I think that they have to be forwarded. What do you do if people chain
> three routers? How does your actual CPE know to dish out a /60 and not
> a /64 or something? What if someone chains four? What if someone puts
> three devices behind the second?
>
> These are weird topologies, sure, but coming up with some algorithm to
> handle some of them and not others is going to be too complicated, and
> leave some people without a workable solution.
>
> Forwarding these requests up to the ISP's router and having several
> PDs per end customer is in my opinion the best way to go.

How is it the ISP's router is able to handle this?  Be specific.

Now explain why that can't be made to work at the CPE level.

There hasn't been a lot of consensus on exactly how this should work
(haberman, bykim, arunt, rao, stenberg, etc). so I am conveniently
doing a bit of handwaving, perhaps.

One of the goals of providing larger address spaces was to reduce (and
hopefully eliminate) the need to burn forwarding table entries where
doing so isn't strictly necessary.  When we forget this, it leads us
to the same sorts of disasters that we currently have in v4.

... JG