Where to buy Internet IP addresses

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Mon May 4 08:08:02 UTC 2009

On 4/05/2009, at 7:19 PM, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

> On Mon, 4 May 2009, Florian Weimer wrote:
>
>>> By definition, every single one of them that buys wireless router,
>>> then
>>> buys another and hangs it off the first. That happens more often
>>> then
>>> you would think.
>>
>> Isn't the traffic bridged, so that you don't have to route WINS and
>> other stuff?  Then it's still a single subnet.
>
> Most people don't have the skill to do this, so they just hang the
> second NAT box behind the first and it "works".
>
> So the lesson from this is that any home IPv6 gateway needs to be
> able to both receive (from ISP) and provide PD (towards other home
> devices), as this is something people will want to do (because they
> do it today).

I think that they have to be forwarded. What do you do if people chain
three routers? How does your actual CPE know to dish out a /60 and not
a /64 or something? What if someone chains four? What if someone puts
three devices behind the second?

These are weird topologies, sure, but coming up with some algorithm to
handle some of them and not others is going to be too complicated, and
leave some people without a workable solution.

Forwarding these requests up to the ISP's router and having several
PDs per end customer is in my opinion the best way to go.

--
Nathan Ward