Slightly OT: Calculating HVAC requirements for server rooms

William Warren hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com
Sat May 2 01:32:19 UTC 2009

Mike Lyon wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am curious what formulas/equations folks use to figure out required
> cooling for small datacenters in offices.
>
> The variables I am using are the size of the room, the total amount of power
> available for usage and the lightning.
>
> Specifically, I am using the guide posted at:
> http://www.openxtra.co.uk/articles/calculating-heat-load
>
> Any other recommendations or suggestions from those folks that have done
> this before?
>
> Thank You in advance.
>
> Cheers,
> Mike

You also have to take into account the environment surrounding the data
room.  At my wife's work The ceiling above is only separated with a
false ceiling to the metal roof above but the rest of hte spaces
surrounding the room are climate controled.  They ahd to significantly
upsize to account for the heat load of that ceiling.