how to fix incorrect GeoIP data?

Mark Foster blakjak at blakjak.net
Fri May 1 21:58:08 UTC 2009

> I don't think self-reporting is the answer.
>
> You MIGHT be able to determine location based on a traceroute, though
> anycast would surely derail such attempts.  I suspect most people rely on
> 3rd party GeoIP databases, and that those companies aren't interested in
> hearing from you about your location change, mostly because they are
> worried that if they do, the evildoers will overrun them with bad
> requests, or bait and switch, making their data less accurate than it is
> now without your block being correct.

Having recently leapt through a few GeoIP hoops to see about getting
records fixed[1], perhaps the NANOG wiki could feature 'known ways to
fix GeoIP' and be used as a reference?

Seems to be something that's going to be more, not less, significant to
customers and network operators alike going forward.

Mark.

[1] http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg13895.html