The Confiker Virus hype and measures

Stasiniewicz, Adam stasinia at msoe.edu
Mon Mar 30 16:11:41 UTC 2009

To the main stream media:

Please leave your tin foil hats at the door...

To my fellow NANOGers:

I look at this virus from two perspectives.  First the home computers (and
small businesses without any real IT staff).  And second the larger
organizations with dedicated IT staff.

Home Users: Many will agree that a large percent (>50%) of home computers
are infected with some sort of malware.  Everything from tracking cookies,
to spam drones, to botnet clients.  Home users are often too cheap/lazy to
get antivirus/firewall protections.  And many are scared to get updates from
Microsoft because of some unrealized danger this might pose.

As I see it, the virus is adding at most 9(?) million to the probable 175
million (350/2
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_broadband_users> )
malware infested hosts out there. In fact, it will probably be much less
than that, as the people who are getting infected by this virus, are
probably already affected by other malware.

Everyone Else: If SQL Slammer has taught us anything, it is the importance
of patch management and firewalls.  And the unending stream of new malware
has also taught us the importance of anti-virus software.  With all the
media hype and removal tools being made, there is no good reason any IT shop
should be affected in any meaningful way.  Invariably we will hear the
stories of places that do get affected, but I doubt it will be anything
overly large.

So from a network operational perspective, unless the virus author decides
to launch a DDOS on a single target (and one is either that network or its
upstream) I predict this will have little, if any, effect.

My $0.02,

Adam Stasiniewicz