iBGP Scaling

Truman Boyes truman at suspicious.org
Mon Mar 30 12:19:33 UTC 2009

Hi there,

Interesting post. Couple things you touched on; firstly is your IGP
having a scaling issue? I have seen networks with > 500 routers in
area 0.0.0.0, however the LSDB was limited to links and loopbacks.
Using route reflectors may help to some degree on memory, in that only
the best route will be reflected to clients. If you are looking to do
some things like MPLS IPVPNS or other TE stuff, you might want to
stick with one AS / one IGP. It just makes things easier.

If your routers can support MPLS VPNs, you may be able to leverage
route target filtering on each PE device. If you are just memory
starved and plan to continue with a standard Internet routing domain,
I would look at tagging all routes on ingress and figuring out which
routes can be summarized or filtered out on the border / aggregation
routers.

Kind regards,
Truman