Google Over IPV6

Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Sat Mar 28 03:34:51 UTC 2009

> From: Florian Weimer <fw at deneb.enyo.de>
> Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 19:20:42 +0100
>
> * Robert D. Scott:
>
> > When I posted my original note, I was not really looking for end
> > user feedback, but rather is anyone peering V6 with them on either a
> > public fabric or private peer. Any idea if they have native V6
> > transit, or are tunneling, and to where.
>
> Google seems to aim at Tier 1 status for IPv6.  No transit, no
> tunneling.
>

>From their web page at http://www.google.com/intl/en/ipv6/:
"To qualify for Google over IPv6, your network must have good IPv6
connectivity to Google. Multiple direct interconnections are preferred,
but a direct peering with multiple backup routes through transit or
multiple reliable transit connections may be acceptable. Your network
must provide and support production-quality IPv6 networking and provide
access to a substantial number of IPv6 users. Additionally, because IPv6
problems with users' connections can cause users to become unable to
access Google if Google over IPv6 is enabled, we expect you to
troubleshoot any IPv6 connection problems that arise in your or your
users' networks."

So you need multiple IPv6 connections or one IPv6 connection with
transit IPv6 support to get it. A university with a direct peering with
Google and and Internet2 transit to google would probably qualify.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)