REVERSE DNS Practices.

Matthew F. Ringel ringel at net.tufts.edu
Tue Mar 24 15:07:08 UTC 2009

On Sun, Mar 22, 2009 at 10:30:07AM +0800, Mark Tinka wrote:
> On Saturday 21 March 2009 06:38:55 pm bruce at yoafrica.com
> wrote:
>
> > Slighty related...
> >
> > Can people please post their recommended reverse dns
> > naming conventions for a small ISP with growth and
> > scalability in mind. I already have one drawn up, but I
> > would like to contrast and compare :D
>
> As regards core infrastructure, I posted the below on this
> list a while back, not sure if it'll help.
>
> http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg01341.html

Similarly, I did a presentation on this a while ago.  This may be of
some use.

http://www.nanog.org/meetings/nanog31/abstracts.php?pt=NjExJm5hbm9nMzE=&nm=nanog31

(also:  http://tinyurl.com/cuqv5e )

The details of the presentation are more geared to a multi-campus
enterprise network (i.e. a university), but the two larger lessons
that came out of moving the university over to a more standard naming
scheme were:

Derivability: Being able to synthesize the name with a few pieces of
data makes naming and debugging easier.

Longer is okay: Barring software limitations on name length, a longer
name is not a problem if a person knows that they're going to get it
right on the first try.  We used CNAMEs if we wanted abbreviations.

YMMV
....Matt