Redundant AS's

Geoff Huston gih at apnic.net
Sat Mar 21 02:46:19 UTC 2009

I make it 25 June 2011 given current use patterns (http://www.potaroo.net/tools/asn16/
)

> Recovering them will postpone the
> problem by a few years but it won't solve it.  The basic problem with
> recovery is how to decide if an ASN is really no longer used/needed.
> There is (still) no mechanism to do this.

thats the problem - there are current 14902 AS numbers that allocated
but not visible in my part of the public Internet, but its entirely
inknown to what extent these numbers are used in various forms of
private or semi-private contests

  Geoff