Redundant AS's

William Herrin herrin-nanog at dirtside.com
Fri Mar 20 17:58:03 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>> Why not go after low lying fruit first?  If an ASN was assigned years
>> ago and hasn't appeared in the RIB for the past year that ASN should
>> be reclaimed.  Send warning emails to the registered contacts as well
>> as to the assigning LIR and after 3 months - just reclaim it.
>
> because property is unused publicly does not affect the rights of its
> owner(s).  otherwise old car collector wannabes could have a heyday.

Randy,

A. AS numbers are not property.

B. If they were property (and they're not), then at least in NANOG's
region there are adequate laws regarding escheat of unclaimed
property. I interpret this to be what Hank was going for: attempt to
contact anyone with a registered but apparently unused AS number and
"escheat" the ones that go unclaimed back to the registries.

Whether or not this is a worthwhile activity is an entirely different
question for which I intentionally decline to offer an opinion.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004