Redundant AS's

Henk Uijterwaal henk at ripe.net
Wed Mar 18 07:18:59 UTC 2009

tvest at eyeconomics.com wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2009, at 11:47 AM, Simon Brilus wrote:
>
>> Out of interest, is there a report that details the number of unused
>> older AS's in the Internet and what is being done to recover them to
>> recycle, as we approach the 53k mark and the 32 bit numbering scheme,
>> it strikes me that we probably have a lot of stagnant AS's out there
>> due to takeovers etc..
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Simon
>
> It's a bit dated now, but the RIPE report, ASN MIA, sounds like what
> you're looking for...
> www.apnic.net/meetings/21/docs/sigs/routing/routing-pres-uijterwaal-asn-mia.ppt

When I look at this more recently, the conclusion still seems to be
valid: we'll run out of 16 bit ASN's somewhere in 2011 to 2013.  There
are a lot of unused ASN's out there.  Recovering them will postpone the
problem by a few years but it won't solve it.  The basic problem with
recovery is how to decide if an ASN is really no longer used/needed.
There is (still) no mechanism to do this.

Henk

Henk Uijterwaal                           Email: henk.uijterwaal(at)ripe.net
RIPE Network Coordination Centre          http://www.amsterdamned.org/~henk
P.O.Box 10096          Singel 258         Phone: +31.20.5354414
1001 EB Amsterdam      1016 AB Amsterdam  Fax: +31.20.5354445
The Netherlands        The Netherlands    Mobile: +31.6.55861746

Belgium: an unsolvable problem, discussed in endless meetings, with no
          hope for a solution, where everybody still lives happily.