Leap second tonight

Peter Beckman beckman at angryox.com
Tue Mar 17 17:30:15 UTC 2009

On Tue, 17 Mar 2009, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> They may suck for being a Stratum-1/2 server, but even the most jittery
> Cisco is still far and away good enough to serve up a ntpdate so that an
> end-user PC-class machine is in the right minute.

  As long as the end-user is made aware that the accuracy of said NTP clock
  is +/- 30.000 seconds (or whatever jitter might exist).  Seems kind of
  ridiculous to use an NTP source that is, for many purposes, wildly
  inaccurate.  For my purposes, wildly is more than +/- 0.1 seconds.  Trying
  to troubleshoot a problem, network or server, where the timestamps on each
  server/router/device vary inconsistently, is like walking on broken
  fluorescent bulbs -- painful and dangerous to one's health.