BGP nexthop-self vs. EIGRP redistribution

Mark Tinka mtinka at globaltransit.net
Mon Mar 16 16:28:42 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 17 March 2009 12:20:08 am phil at mindfury.net
wrote:

> My question is, which is the correct method of
> implementing this?  Should we be redistributing static
> and connected routes on our borders into IGP, and not
> using next-hop-self?  Or should we not redistribute and
> use next-hop-self?

I always recommend setting the NEXT_HOP attribute to 'self'
for all iBGP sessions at the (peering) edge, and using your
IGP to provide reachability to all Loopback addresses in the
network. This scales quite well.

And while IGP/BGP redistribution may be possible, we tend to
avoid it as much as possible.

Cheers,

Mark.