Netflow on SUP720-3BXL

Nick Hilliard nick at foobar.org
Sun Mar 15 09:23:29 UTC 2009

On 15/03/2009 01:55, Andy Bierlair wrote:
> I’m trying to run netflow on one of our Cisco core routers (SUP720-3BXL),
> but I think I am hitting some limitations because of this:

Sounds about right for the amount of traffic you're pushing through the
box.  The SUP720 is a very poor netflow platform.

There has been extensive discussion about this problem in cisco-nsp over
the past several years, and this posting is probably more appropriate to
that mailing list.  But basically, there is too little netflow tcam on this
card to deal with anything more than a couple of gigs of traffic.  You can
help things by setting the aging timer to be very aggressive, and by
getting DFCs (although these are a rather expensive option).  Sampling
won't generally help, as the sampling is done in software, after the data
has been collected.

More info on:

> http://www.google.com/search?q=sup720+netflow+%2Bsite:puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp

Nick