Dynamic IP log retention = 0?

Ross ross at dillio.net
Sat Mar 14 05:56:24 UTC 2009

Joe,

I'll respond to you and this will be my last reply to this thread because
I know I won't be able to change your mind. Saying a company's business
decisions are antisocial just because they aren't doing you want is very
unhelpful. I don't know how many large ISPs you have worked for but I'm
not sure if you understand corporate budgets or politics.

If you consider people who port scan the bad guys of the internet then
obviously you and I are two different planes of reality. I had a
discussion today with someone who I immensely respect where I talked about
port scanning and how people compare it to trying to break in to someone's
house. He disagreed and said that port scanning was like being a part of
the neighborhood watch and that trying to exploit any vulnerabilities you
find would be an attempted break in, I have to agree.

As for your second point of comparing port scanning to the heinous crimes
of rape I'll just ask, "have you lost your damn mind"? Seriously, port
scanning a machine compared to the horrid act of abusing someone sexually?
Seriously, what will be your next analogy, pedophiles are the same as file
sharers?

Port scanning can be a method to find vulnerabilities indeed but what of
those of us who port scan before we use certain services? I often scan
certain hosts before I use them to make sure they don't have gaping
vulnerabilities, should I go to jail? The op said nothing about an attack
but only a scan, so don't go there.

Your idea of operations seems simple because you have the black and white
barrier, there is no gray for you. Some of us actually have a larger
userbase and very small budgets. Now I'll say that the company I work for
goes after network abusers vigorously. To say that port scanners are
miscreants and abusers is your view.

I think everyone wants to stop botnets and exploits from spreading but
Joe, people don't have to answer to you just because you feel that you are
privileged because you have a role in the internet. Scanning and attacks
are two different things and I hope you realize this. If a host on my
network is attacking a host on yours I'm sure we will work to stop it
quickly. If you demand that I turn over the person who scanned you last
night at 12:52 am I may ignore you.

I wish you the best of luck against your crusade against the evil of port
scanning.

--
Ross
ross [at] dillio.net