Usage-Based Billing for DIA

Wim Kerkhoff wim at nyetwork.org
Thu Mar 5 22:28:07 UTC 2009

Rodriguez, Mauricio said the following, On 3/5/2009 2:02 PM:
> Looking at possibilities for an implementation of usage-based billing, it seems that the same techniques and tools always come up.  I'm looking for some feedback from the list on experiences with these tools and techniques as well as alternatives that may not be listed here.
>
> +Techniques
>                 --Flow data (Netflow, SFlow, etc) analysis to determine 95th percentile traffic levels
>                 --SNMP polling of interface counters to determine 95th percentile traffic levels

I've been using pmacctd for several years with good success. It is
designed for actual usage accounting (for instance, GB per month per
IP/subnet) rather then 95th percentile.

The beauty of pmacctd is that it simply puts the data into an SQL
database. Once the data is stored, you can write any SQL queries as
required for reporting.

http://www.pmacct.net/

Wim