"web problems" "ssl issues"

nanog at namor.ca nanog at namor.ca
Thu Mar 5 19:20:53 UTC 2009

I hadn't thought about this until now, when I had to use our SPKI
account with Thawte.  It's painfully slow processing anything.

I doesn't seem that anything's amiss with latency or network otherwise,
but we're noticing this impact.

I'm also just West of you, so I'm curious if it's slightly geographic in
nature, as nobody else has noted similar that I've seen here.

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Not sure if others are running into this or not, but we had a few
> vague support calls come in at once about browser 'ssl problems' and
> some issues with some websites 'taking forever to come up'...  It
> looks like the common problem is bringing up pages that have
>
> src="https://siteseal.thawte.com/cgi/server/thawte_seal_generator.exe">
>
> embedded in the web page the end user goes to.
>
> Depending on how the page is written, it can seem (to the end user
> anyways) as if the page is taking for ever to come up. The browser is
> blocking on talking to the site seal server.
<judicious snippage>