MAC address confusion

R. Kevin Oberman oberman at es.net
Wed Mar 4 18:05:00 UTC 2009

Sorry fot the top-post, but my Treo makes it almost impossible to do otherwise.

The protocols using these reserved, local addresses all use them to embed the network layer address. AA addresses are used by DECnet and kin while 02 is for XNS, I seem to recall.

 As long as the only addresses used in these spaces are thse asigned by those protocols and they use peoperly assigned network layer addresses, ther will never be a conflict. That is the point in0the registration...marking them as reserved for the protocols in question and not to be used for anything else.
Sent from my Treo:
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)
E. O. Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL)
oberman at es.net                      +1 510-486-8634