DPI or Flow Management

Steven M. Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Mar 1 23:58:24 UTC 2009

On Mon, 02 Mar 2009 08:39:24 +0900
Randy Bush <randy at psg.com> wrote:

> > The emphasis, is the need to open the envelope to decide how to
> > route them...
>
> and more of my margin goes to the folk who make envelope openers.  and
> this is a good thing?  and it helps get the packets to the customer
> how?
>
> pfui!

Yah.  I like what Mike O'Dell said at
http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/03/sort/time_rev/page/1/entry/3:12/

	I admit to no debate on Deep Packet Inspection by ISPs,
	advertisers, or other assorted evesdroppers.

	It is very, very simple and as black-and-white as they come:

	It is WRONG and Deeply Evil.

	There is no righteous purpose, period. Full Stop.

	The fact that various government agencies are very good at it
	is irrelevant.

	"When the President does it, it's STILL Wrong."