Reduced ISP uptime after BGP annoucement

Mike Lewinski mike at rockynet.com
Tue Jun 30 16:42:20 UTC 2009

Dylan Ebner wrote:

> Does anyone know if it is the policy of Qwest (or  ISPs) to have lower
 > uptime metrics for BGP customers or am I just experiancing lots of
 > downtime with an ISP that is known for having lots
> of problems?

We do BGP to Qwest Internet and they've been as reliable as any other
provider over the long haul. There have been 1-2 outages impacting our
ELA in the last year - one of which was big enough to take down our MOE
services across the state.

I can't imagine a good reason to give lower metrics to our BGP
customers. We assume the customers who want BGP really value their
uptime moreso than others because they are investing more money in it.

Now if I have an outage and limited staff to do client contact
notifications, we'll call the BGP customers last since they are least
affected. But that's about it as far as discriminatory treatment goes.

Mike