tor

nancyp at yorku.ca nancyp at yorku.ca
Thu Jun 25 16:22:08 UTC 2009

As I understand & pls correct if I am wrong:

> There is a long established legal tradition that telecommunication
> transport is not liable for the content it transmits. It's called
> common carrier.

Telephony = common carrier yes- considered 'basic service'under Telecom Act 96..

but data is considered 'enhanced services' different section of the Act. Thus
common carrier does not apply.

The dualism/argument began in the 2nd computer inquiry and scales right up to
[US dominated] Intl telephony settlements- ICAIS where VoIP is not settled the
same way [$] but governed by peering/transit arrangements

Nancy Paterson
(Reachability as a Net Neutrality Issue)
PhD student, YorkU, Toronto