tor

Jack Bates jbates at brightok.net
Wed Jun 24 23:13:52 UTC 2009

Joe Blanchard wrote:
> My gosh...
>
> Ok, so if someone happens to talk about murder over the phone, is the phone
> company providing the service held liable?
>
> Lets get back to rational/informative content please.

The phone company still has to provide records of who owns the phone
number and perhaps allow a tap of the phone depending on court orders. I
seem to have to maintain a CALEA server and compliance which I will
probably never use but is mandated by law. If the courts find they can
never find the owner of an IP, then the laws will mandate that we
maintain such records; and in fact, there has been more than one bill
for provisioning the storage of all emails for subpoena purposes.

I'm not familiar with TOR, but I suspect that governments can still step
through it to find the person responsible if perhaps a bit more time
consuming.

Jack