tor

Rod Beck Rod.Beck at hiberniaatlantic.com
Wed Jun 24 22:18:20 UTC 2009

This has nothing to do with telecommunications or any kind of carrier or
business relationship. This is intentionally leaving your computer open
so that anyone on the Internet can come along and appear to be coming
from your IP, where they will promptly set off doing bad stuff that will
get traced back to you rather than them. Think of it like intentionally
leaving your car unlocked with the keys in the ignition and a note
authorizing people to borrow it and take it for a spin, and then
expecting not to get into any kind of trouble when they rack up speeding
tickets and/or use it to run someone over.

Besides, the kind of consequencies I'm talking about are "having your
internet account shut off for abuse"... But if you do happen to be one
of those unlucky people who gets sued for downloading illegal content I
don't think "but your honor I was running tor" is the defense you're
looking for. :)

I am afraid what you described with the car is not illegal.

It is highly unlikely any court would convict ... :)