Is your ISP blocking outgoing port 25?

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Mon Jun 22 14:24:02 UTC 2009

>It's a pity that MAAWG or another group hasn't written a
>specification for the automatic downloading of configuration (with
>certificates, to be sure, for some kind of repudiation) and the
>update thereof, for adoption by the leading consumer e-mail clients.

MAAWG decided it's not in the standards business, but it does BCPs
pointing at standards elsewhere (mostly the IETF) that it encourages
people to follow.  Write a standard that people can use, and I don't
think I'd have much trouble getting them to endorse it.

It's an interesting design topic, particularly the bootstrap question
of how the client decides where to look for its configuration.  A lot
of this stuff is already available via DHCP, but of course a key goal
here is to set config info the last across reboots on different networks.

Followup to IETF-something, I suspect.

R's,
John