Cogent input

Leo Bicknell bicknell at ufp.org
Fri Jun 12 14:18:25 UTC 2009

In a message written on Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 08:13:02AM -0500, Justin Shore wrote:
> Let me rephrase that. :-)  I know of no tier-Ns that offer any native v6
> services here in the Midwest (central Kansas) including L3 which only
> has a best effort pilot program using tunnels.  There might be more
> options in KC or OKC but not here that I'm aware of...

www.tunnelbroker.net (which is HE under the hood) is available
anywhere, self serve, and works great.

I bring this up knowing a tunnel is not as good as native connectivity,
yadda yadda yadda.  My personal experience with sales folks is
telling them you need IPv6 makes them go ask questions internally,
while telling them you were forced to get service (a tunnel) from
a competitor generally sends the entire sales force into a tizzy
internally.  It really drives home the point that not only are you
asking, but you need it, and will go around them if necessary.  This
changes the equasion for them from wanting to be second (we will
offer it in the market when our competitor does) to wanting to be
first (we can't let our competitor pick off customers like this who
are desperate for the feature).

Of course, you may not want to turn up customers on such a service,
but it does provide an excellent opportunity to enable your test
lab, employee personal boxes, and the like so you can hit the ground
running.  Hard to beat for something that's free and takes 15 minutes
to set up.