Cogent input

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Thu Jun 11 14:56:06 UTC 2009

Hello,

* Stephen Kratzer

> We've only recently started using Cogent transit, but it's been
> stable since its introduction 6 months ago. Turn-up was a bit rocky
> since we never received engineering details, and engineering was
> atypical in that two eBGP sessions were established, one just to
> advertise loopbacks, and another for the actual feed. The biggest
> issue we have with them is that they don't allow deaggregation. If
> you've been allocated a prefix of length yy, they'll accept only
> x.x.x.x/yy, not x.x.x.x/yy le 24. Yes, sometimes deaggregation is
> necessary or desirable even if only temporarily.

Interesting.  I requested exactly that when filling in their BGP
questionnaire, and they set it up - no questions asked.

Also, we have a perfectly normal single BGP session.  The loopback
address of the router we're connected to is found within the 38.0.0.0/8
prefix, which they announce to us over that session like any other route.

> And, they have no plans to support IPv6.

I have been promised, in writing, that they will provide us with native
IPv6 transit before the end of the year.

I'm based in Europe, though.  Perhaps they're more flexible and
customer-friendly here than in the US?

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson