Cogent input

Tore Anderson tore at linpro.no
Thu Jun 11 14:44:43 UTC 2009

Hi Justin,

> I'm in search of some information about Cogent, it's past, present and
> future.  I've heard bits and pieces about Cogent's past over the years
> but by no means have I actively been keeping up.

We recently got a 10-gig port in Oslo from them.  Price-wise they were
competitive but absolutely not in a leauge of their own - a couple of
other large providers matched their offers.  In the end the main
differencing factor for us was that their PoP happened to be in the same
building as our data centre, so no local access was required (unlike the
others).

The link hasn't been up for very long so I can't comment on long-term
reliability issues, but so far I've been _very_ happy with them,
everything was up and running just a couple of days after we ordered,
and the staff we've had contact with have been knowledgeable and
helpful.  The service has performed as expected: latency has been low
and I haven't noticed any sub-optimal routing (trampolines) or packet loss.

We multihome, so we're not too concerned about potential de-peerings.  I
would not single-home to any of the transit-free networks anyway, as any
of them could end up on the receiving end of a de-peering.

Best regards,
--
Tore Anderson
Redpill Linpro AS - http://www.redpill-linpro.com/