Facility wide DR/Continuity

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at arbor.net
Wed Jun 3 16:59:12 UTC 2009

On Jun 3, 2009, at 11:15 PM, gb10hkzo-nanog at yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> For example, consider the licensing and hardware costs involved in
> running something like Oracle Database in active/active mode  (in a
> topology that is supported by Oracle Tech Support).

In my experience, it's no more expensive in terms of hardware/software
licensing costs to run active/active, and actually less in terms of
opex costs due to issues raised previously in this thread, as well as
a host of others.

Note that running active/active doesn't necessarily mean doing
something like running a clustered database back-end, utilizing vendor-
specific HA solutions.  It can be done via a combination of caching,
sharding, distributed indexing, et. al. - i.e., via application
structuring and logic.

         Unfortunately, inefficiency scales really well.

		   -- Kevin Lawton