Facility wide DR/Continuity

Drew Weaver drew.weaver at thenap.com
Wed Jun 3 12:09:33 UTC 2009

Hi All,

I'm attempting to devise a method which will provide continuous operation of certain resources in the event of a disaster at a single facility.

The types of resources that need to be available in the event of a disaster are ecommerce applications and other business critical resources.

Some of the questions I keep running into are:

                Should the additional sites be connected to the primary site (and/or the Internet directly)?
                What is the best way to handle the routing? Obviously two devices cannot occupy the same IP address at the same time, so how do you provide that instant 'cut-over'? I could see using application balancers to do this but then what if the application balancers fail, etc?

Any advice from folks on list or off who have done similar work is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
-Drew