Fiber cut - response in seconds?

Paul Wall pauldotwall at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:12:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 7:50 AM, Dave Wilson <richard.wilson at senokian.com> wrote:
> No. And here's why: If you're a naughty foreign intelligence team, and
> you know your stuff, you already know where some of the cables you'd
> really like a tap on are buried. When you hear of a construction project
> that might damage one, you set up your innocuous white panel truck
> somewhere else, near a suitable manhole. When the construction guy with
> a backhoe chops the cable (and you may well slip him some money to do
> so), *then* you put your tap in, elsewhere, with your actions covered by
> the downtime at the construction site. That's why the guys in the SUVs
> are in such a hurry, because they want to close the window of time in
> which someone can be tapping the cable elsewhere.

Sounds like a lot of work to me. Wouldn't it be easier to just find the carrier
neutral colo facilities where all the peering/transit between major networks
happens, and pay them money to put up a fake wall that you can colo your
optical taps behind?

Drive Slow, and remember, don't open any doors that say "This Is Not An Exit",

Paul Wall