Fiber cut - response in seconds?

JC Dill jcdill.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 14:44:40 UTC 2009

Elmar K. Bins wrote:
> jcdill.lists at gmail.com (JC Dill) wrote:
>

>> Why do they "watch" and "monitor" rather than proactively go
>> out and say "watch out, there's an unmarked cable here" and keep them
>> from cutting the cable in the first place?
>>

> *snicker*
>
> You ever been to a construction site?

Yes.  We have a number here to call "Before You Dig" and they send
people out to mark where underground utilities are.  It would be
trivially easy for one more set of jump-suited and hard-hat-wearing
people to show up during this phase of the project and mark one more
line.  For the most part the construction teams don't know and don't
care who is marking the lines or who is responsible for each, they just
want the lines marked (location and type of line - gas, electric, telco)
so they can avoid cutting them.  In this way the marking team would be
"undercover" and the previously unmarked/unmapped line would be No Big
Deal.  When an unmarked line is cut and black SUVs show up (the opposite
of "undercover"), the line becomes A Big Deal which is the opposite of
what is intended.

jc